The Temple Terrace Library has partnered up with University of South Florida Special & Digital Collections and Tampa-Hillsborough County Libraries to make two Temple Terrace newspapers available online for patrons. To view the full collection and find out more about the Temple Terrace Sentinel and Temple Terrace Beacon, click on the links below.
Temple terrace sentinel
The Temple Terrace Sentinel was published from January 17, 1940 to July 4, 1946. It was presented to the Temple Terrace Public Library by the Temple Terrace Lions Club in honor of the owner, publisher, and editor, Mr. John L. Perry. The collection was subsequently donated to the USF Library Special Collections department. This small, weekly publication is presented in a newsletter format and displays the tagline: “Temple Terrace’s first newspaper. We print only the truth.” The publications content, written by reporters Jimmy Hawk, Jules Swanson, and Whitney Pinnell includes community news, births, deaths, illnesses, civic announcements, classified advertisements, and anecdotes. To view this collection, click here.
Temple Terrace Beacon
The Temple Terrace Beacon was a weekly community newspaper that was established in 1931 in Temple Terrace, Florida. The publication's content includes community news, civic announcements, local sports stories, letters from readers, business reviews, classified advertisements, and television logs. This digital collection is comprised of over 700 issues dating from 1978 to 1995. Printed paper copies of the original newspaper are in the collections of the Temple Terrace Public Library. To view this collection, click here.