Mayor's Youth Leadership Council
THE 2019-2020 COUNCIL
- Patrick Huston, a Senior at Jesuit High School
- Aaron Bradford, a Senior at King High School
- Caleb Colton, a Senior at Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate High
- Kate Terry, a Junior at Seffner Christian Academy
- Ethan Fleming, a Senior at King High School
- Luke Purvis, a Sophomore at Cambridge Christian School
- Karsten McClard, a Junior at Middleton High School
- Julianna Chillura, a Junior at Tampa Catholic High School
- Noah Purvis, a Senior at Cambridge Christian School
- Silas Colton, a Sophomore at Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate High
- Haley Terry, a Senior at Seffner Christian Academy
- Marine Gerlein, a Senior at Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate High
- Gabrielle Wiggins, a Senior at King High School
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Students from area high schools as well as home schoolers who will be in grades 10 through 12 in the upcoming school year were encouraged to apply for the 2019-2020 class. All interested students submitted applications that included personal essays and references and were interviewed by City of Temple Terrace Mayor Jurado and Marketing and Communications Officer Laurie Hayes.
In addition to these criteria, applicants were judged on coursework, grades and extracurricular activities. Mayor Jurado stressed that all of the candidates exhibited outstanding academic and leadership capabilities.
Learn, Grow, Lead!
Interested in sponsoring this amazing group of young people?
As a sponsor, you will be a key part in nurturing future leaders. The Mayor’s goal is to utilize your sponsorship investment to ensure quality experiences and training for the members of the Council.
Silver Level Sponsor:
Bronze Level Sponsor:
The Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council provides Temple Terrace area high school students in grades 10-12 with an opportunity to participate in civic, leadership and community service programs to develop leadership abilities and inspire a commitment to community service and lifelong civic responsibility.
The 2018-'19 class chose to establish a library at the new Sam and Laurice Hachem Temple Terrace Boys & Girls Club as their flagship project.
The Youth Council also produced a video highlighting the City that was entered into a competition sponsored by the Florida League of Cities. View that video here.
- Members will have opportunities to serve as a City Ambassador at various functions.
- Members will learn through Leadership 101 quarterly development sessions focused on principles of leadership, interpersonal skill building, public speaking, business etiquette, etc.
- Members will participate in a Community Service Impact Project – as a group, the Leadership Council will select volunteer opportunities within the community.
- Members will have the opportunity to research and discuss issues of concern to members of the Youth Leadership Council
- Members will promote action items to effect change.
- Members will earn service hours that can be applied to scholarship applications.
- High school students entering grades 10-12 in the 2019-'20 school year who live in the Temple Terrace community.
- Commit to one year of leadership service on the Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council.
- Possess a minimum 2.5 W.G.P.A.
- Possess a strong desire to impact our community and beyond for good.
- Possess a desire to learn more about City government.
- Available to meet at least once a month.
GETTING STARTED (The Application window is now closed)
- Complete or print and fill out a copy of the application, available here.
- Select two references, who can include: community leaders, advisors, school faculty or principals, organizational leaders, coaches or club sponsors. Reference forms can be downloaded here.
- Have your parent or guardian sign the application.
- Submit the application via email to Laurie Hayes (lhayes@TempleTerrace.com) or mail to: Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council Application, 11250 N. 56th Street, Temple Terrace, Florida 33617, Attention: Laurie Hayes.
- Application Period: Applications will be accepted through 5pm on March 15, 2019
- Application Review & Applicant Interviews: March-April 2019
- Youth Leadership Council for 2019-2020 Announced: May 2019
- Program Kick Off: August 2019
- The program follows the school calendar (August through June, with a final July special event.)
For more information, please contact Laurie Hayes at 813.506.6406 or email firstname.lastname@example.org