Municipal Solid Waste Collection

wave canA New Approach to Municipal Solid Waste Collection

The City of Temple Terrace has made the long overdue transition to a semi-automated system to collect residential trash. Under the previous system, garbage collection required our crews to empty a variety of trash cans and pick-up materials by hand, which was time consuming, labor intensive and potentially hazardous. In addition, residents provided their own trash receptacles or simply place refuse curbside, creating an unsightly and often unsanitary situation on our City streets. 

Our current fleet of trash trucks has been retrofitted with automatic tippers that will unload standard 95- or 65-gallon garbage carts into the vehicles. All residences serviced by the City received a cart free of charge. Each of these carts is branded with the City’s name as well as a serial number that assigns it to a specific address. These carts are City property and must remain at that address for the life of the cart. Residents who move out of Temple Terrace must leave their cart for the new homeowner or be assessed a $75 charge on their final utility bill. Carts that are damaged by normal wear and tear will be replaced by the City. a hand placing a bag of trash in a can

These City-issued carts are the only trash receptacles serviced curbside by City crews. 

ALL refuse should be placed inside the cart which should be set out within 5 feet of the curb, but not in the street, between sunset the night before collection and 7am on collection day. Containers must be removed by sunset on the day of collection. 

Should a special occasion result in more waste than can be accommodated by the carts at an address, crews will accept bagged items placed adjacent to the cart on a very limited basis. If the amount of garbage generated by a household routinely exceeds the current capacity of the cart(s), the resident will be asked to purchase an additional cart or trash not contained in the cart will be left at the curb. You may request an additional 95- or 65-gallon cart by calling Public Works at 813.506.6560. A $75 charge for the second cart will be added to your utility bill upon delivery. (The additional cart belongs to the homeowner.) 

The twice-weekly trash pick-up schedule will remain the same, as will the current procedures for recycling, yard waste disposal and special pick-ups (see info and links below). Residents are encouraged to use any serviceable smaller cans for yard waste and eliminate plastic bags whenever possible to ensure that the organic materials can properly decompose upon disposal. Or you can call Public Works at 813.506.6560 to make arrangements for the City to pick up your old cans at no charge.


paper in a recycling bin


Residents should put paper products ONLY in their green bins and place curbside on their recycling pick-up day. Bins containing materials other than paper products will not be serviced.


The City provides strategically-placed receptacles in which residents may deposit metals and plastic goods to be collected for recycling. DO NOT bag items before placing in the receptacles.

metal recycling

plastic recycling

Neighborhood Recycling Drop-Off Locations:

  • Boy Scout Park Parking Lot
  • 113th St. Parking Lot (near Greco Middle  School)
  • Family Recreation Complex Parking Lot
  • Omar K. Lightfoot Center Parking Lot
  • 78th St. Right-of-Way (near Lift Station)

GLASSno glass recycling

The City has discontinued separated glass recycling. Residents should place glass items into their regular garbage, which is taken to a Waste-to-Energy plant for incineration.

 For more information on the City's complimentary recycling program, click here.

Yard Wasteyard waste in a can

Yard waste is picked up on Wednesdays only. Disposal regulations prohibit the city from collecting yard debris with normal garbage. Tree limbs must be shorter than 3 feet in length and less than 5 inches in diameter and bundled. Grass clippings and leaves must be containerized, preferably in reusable 30 gallon trash bins, with a weight limit of 50 lbs. per container. Do not include fruit with the yard debris. If you have trash cans that are no longer in use, consider placing your unbagged lawn debris in those cans and put them curbside for collection.

Construction Debris / Furniture

 Consta cartoon garbage can holding up its handruction debris must be removed by contractor or the homeowner can call Public Works to arrange for a special trash pick-up.

For larger items like furniture that do not meet pre-collection requirements, the city offers a free, once-a-year annual pick-up or a special trash pick-up at additional cost. For more information about special pickups, click here or call the Public Works Department at 813.506.6570.